Simple Wills: Our Definition
The prices on our Fee Schedule are for simple wills only. But what is a simple will? Even if you have few assets, your will is not necessarily simple. The following should help you understand our definition.
Our general guidelines for a simple will:
1. Your Estate
- If you have a spouse/partner: Your entire estate is left to them.
- If you have no spouse/partner: Your entire estate is left to your children in equal shares.
- If you do not have a spouse/partner or children: Your entire estate is left to another individual or organization, or a group of individuals or organizations, in equal shares.
2. Other Factors
- You are not in a blended marriage with possible disagreements over the treatment of children from previous marriages.
- You have no dependents with disabilities and complex instructions for their care.
- You have no complex instructions to control the distribution of your estate after you die, and/or after your children die (i.e. differing percentages to beneficiaries).
- You do not have a complex estate (business interests, trusts, non-Canadian property, etc.).
- You have few gifts and legacies (i.e., property or cash) to be transferred to a few specified beneficiaries.
- You have few beneficiaries of the residue of your estate (i.e., after specific gifts have been transferred).
- You do not have illegitimate children that you don’t support.
- You are not disinheriting a family member.
A Simple Solution for Simple Wills
Our goal is to let you know up front exactly how much your will is going to cost. The only way we can do that is if we find out about your situation before giving you a firm quote.
The easiest way to tell us about your situation is to complete our Online Wills Package. Once you have submitted your information, we’ll be happy to give you a firm quote for preparing your will, and for a personal directive and enduring power of attorney, if they are also required.
When you decide to proceed, we’ll prepare and forward a first draft of the documents for your review. Upon your acceptance of the draft, we’ll schedule an appointment for you to sign the documents.