Probate Lawyers in Calgary: Friendly, Affordable Services
Facing probate at what may be an already difficult time isn’t fun. As experienced Alberta probate lawyers, we guide you through the probate process and help ensure that it’s as painless as possible. We’ve handled numerous probate files, both for Alberta and non-Alberta executors, and look forward to helping you wherever you live.
How We Help Executors: Our Services
(Note: the term “personal representative” is the current legal term used to refer to an executor/executrix, administrator/administratix, and judicial trustee.)
As your probate lawyers, we will:
- Review the will and other circumstances to determine whether probate is necessary.
- Advise you on all matters connected with the administration of the estate.
- Prepare the application to the Court of Queen’s Bench (Surrogate Matter) to have you formally appointed personal representative of the estate and to obtain the grant.
- Help you distribute the deceased’s estate to the beneficiaries.
- Prepare releases for the beneficiaries to complete to show that the administration of the estate is complete.
The Law Society of Alberta has suggested fee guidelines for probate lawyers’ core legal services. The fee guidelines suggest a base fee plus a percentage based on the value of the estate.
Our approach is different—and often less expensive. Larger estates can be simple and smaller estates can be complex, so we prefer to base our fees on how much work is involved. As a result, our fees are usually less—sometimes significantly less—than the guidelines.
Probate Services Anywhere
We can act as your probate lawyer no matter where you are in Alberta, and we can re-seal a grant of probate in Alberta if you’re an executor living outside the province and the deceased owned property in Alberta.
Contact us today and we’ll schedule an appointment, by phone or in person, to discuss your situation. We’ll let you know what our estimated fees may be, based on the information you provide at that time. We’ll also tell you honestly if we don’t think you need to probate the estate.
For your convenience, we also offer weekend appointments.